While the life-expectancy gap between men and women has decreased, it's no secret that men still need to pay more attention to their bodies. Several things work against men. They tend to smoke and drink more than women. They don't seek medical help as often as women. Some men define themselves by their work, which can add to stress.
There are also health conditions that only affect men, such as prostate cancer and low testosterone. Many of the major health risks that men face — like colon cancer or heart disease — can be prevented and treated with early diagnosis. Screening tests can find diseases early, when they are easier to treat. It's important to have regular checkups and screenings.
Note: This topic was prepared to help consumers find reliable health resources on the web. This site is not responsible for the information on other sites. The information here — and on all websites — is not intended to be a substitute for care given to you by a health professional.
Preventive Health Tips
- Prevent the Top Threats, Mayo Clinic
- Here are the Mayo Clinic's top tips for illness prevention among men.
Websites for Men's Health
- Health Information for Men, Healthfinder.gov
- Healthfinder is a federal website offering links to the best government and nonprofit health and human services information on the Internet. The site offers helpful links for men on preventive care and more.
- Men's Health, Mayo Clinic
- This website offers men basic information on health threats and issues, and offers resources to help men take control of their health.
- Men's Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- This site offers men's health data as well as health and safety tips.
- Poudre River Public Library District
- Search the library collection for books about men’s health issues, or use the library's health, sciences and technology databases.
- Best Health Sites
- This collection of web links, organized by site type, will help you find the health information you're looking for.
- Health and Healthcare Statistics
- Looking for health and healthcare statistics at the local, state and national level? This collection of web links will help you find the health data you're looking for. Great for researchers, grant writers, students and the curious.
- Suggest a Resource
- Did we miss something? Submit a website or other resource for consideration.