Heel problems are common and can be painful. Often, they result from too much stress on your heel bone and the tissues that surround it. That stress can come from
These can lead to tendinitis, bursitis and plantar fasciitis, which are all types of inflammation of the tissues that surround your heel. Over time the stress can cause bone spurs and deformities. Certain diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and gout, can also lead to heel problems. Treatments for heel problems might include rest, medicines, exercises, taping and special shoes. Surgery is rarely needed.
- Bruises that you get walking, running or jumping
- Wearing shoes that don't fit or aren't made well
- Being overweight
Note: This topic was prepared to help consumers find reliable health resources on the web. This site is not responsible for the information on other sites. The information here — and on all websites — is not intended to be a substitute for care given to you by a health professional.
- Heel Pain, Mayo Clinic
- The Mayo Clinic provides both basic and detailed information about many aspects of heel pain.
- Heel Pain, MedlinePlus
- A service of the National Institutes of Health, MedlinePlus offers abundant information on healthcare topics, including heel pain.
- Search for a Healthcare Provider, HealthInfoSource.com
- Search this site for a family practice provider, a podiatrist or an orthopedist to diagnose and treat heel pain. To search, click on "Medical Care" and then narrow your search by "Type of Care," indicating family practice, podiatry or orthopaedics.
- Best Health Sites
- Ready to explore the World Wide Web of health information on your own? This collection of web links, organized by site type, will help you find the health information you're looking for.
- Health and Healthcare Statistics
- Looking for health and healthcare statistics at the local, state and national level? This collection of web links will help you find the health data you're looking for. Great for researchers, grant writers, students and the curious.
- Suggest a Resource
- Did we miss something? Submit a website or other resource for consideration.